Today is my Uncle Fred's 81st Birthday!! He is my Grandma's older brother--they are only 14 months apart. This picture of him and I was taken 2 years ago when my Dad (his Godson) had surgery & when we arrived back home, Uncle Fred was there to greet us with a full homemade Italian supper. He takes quite good care of his family, to say the least--he knows how to make us all feel better!
Unfortunately, Uncle Fred is in the end stages of cancer. He is at home & hospice is coming to the house. We are grateful, however, that today was a relatively 'good' day for him & although pretty much bedridden, he was able to enjoy all the family & friends that were in & out all day. I think he was able to enjoy his birthday as best he could today & for that, I am thankful. Uncle Fred is 100% Italian--in blood, spirit, & ways! His given name on his birth certificate is Fortunato Vincenzo Celsy. He is the patriarch of our family--he kept us grounded in our heritage. He went to visit our relatives in Italy & spent quite a bit of time with them. He fills our lives from his experiences of the family & 'the old country.' He has taught me some phrases in Italian. He is an exceptional Italian cook & baker. He has blessed our family with his stories & experiences. He has passed down traditions & most of all, taught us all what it means to be a family.He has a wonderful sense of humor...& still does, even as sick as he is. He comes up with some great one-liners. Today I went in & he was wearing a workout suit. I said to him "okay Zio (which is Italian for Uncle) enough laying around--get up, we're going jogging." He looked at me & said "you're too late. I just did 5 miles & I didn't even break a sweat." Leave it to my Zio! Anytime I ask him if he needs anything he almost always responds "a million dollars & a bottle of Jack Daniels, would be great." For 81 years he has kept those around him laughing, surrounded them with love, & filled their bellies with delicious authentic Italian.
I do believe he is one of the most big hearted & sincere men I have ever met. He is the first to hug & kiss you...to let you know how much you are loved! He always has & still does look at me & say "you're pretty..." & with a few seconds pause "ugly." And then he'll laugh his head off & say "ah no...Bellisimo! Now shut up & give me a kiss."
It was great to see so many relatives today. My cousin Vince (aka cousin Vinny) is in from Colorado for a few weeks helping care for his Dad. Though the circumstances are less than desirable, I am still happy for some time with him. We all enjoyed some snacks & birthday cake--even Uncle Fred ate a bit of cake & ice cream in celebration of his 81 years. I am forever grateful for my Zio Fortunato. He has blessed me & our family in ways that cannot be explained.
He is so grateful for all of you who are sending love & prayers his way, especially the Sisters at the Mount. Everytime I see him I remind him that he has so many people praying for him & loving him that don't even know him. He tears up everytime & I know he, as well as our family, is so grateful for all of the love & prayers for him. So, from Uncle Fred & me, "THANK YOU & KEEP THEM COMING." I am grateful for the time I get to have with him right now--it's a blessing.
Happy Birthday Uncle Fred---we love you!
Me & my Zio Fortunato @ a family party in 2005! Isn't he handsome?
No comments:
Post a Comment