
You can chase a dream that seems so out of reach and you know it might not ever come your way. Dream it anyway.
You can love someone with all your heart, for all the right reasons, and in a moment they can choose to walk away. Love ‘em anyway.
*Martina McBride's Song "Do it Anyway."
I heard this song on the radio today, it struck me instantly. The words seem to echo very near to one of the prayers of Mother Teresa, to "do it anyway." The whole song speaks of the risks we take everyday, just by believing, dreaming, loving, and even in Martina's case, singing. It reminded me that going to the Amazon was not the most risky thing I have ever done---living is the greatest adventure. Most of us know how it feels to have a dream, but to realize that it may not work out (I've had plenty of them), but it shouldn't keep you from continuing to dream other dreams. And, sadly, many of us know how much it hurts to love someone and have them turn away from you; whether it be a parent, a child, a sibling, or someone you thought was a good friend---they all have their deep sense of hurt, but yet we should continue to love them anyway. We can learn so much for children--my adorale little cousin was having trouble with people picking on him at school but as he told someone "just because they hurt me, doesn't mean I should hurt them." The first time I heard that story I cried, how can a 5 year old child get it, but grown adults cannot?!?! This songs seems to wrap up the idea of constant 'hope' and to 'do it anyway' regardless of the risks. Friends will turn out not to be true friends, siblings will get angry, parents can leave, whatever it is that you think is to much to risk---"do it anyway."
As Shelby in Steel Magnolias said "I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful, then a lifetime of nothing special."
Picture: Jessie (a good friend from high school) and I visited Dee every week. Dee was terminal with cancer. We helped her with whatever she needed, took her shopping, etc. But most of all we grew to love one another. Dee lived the motto "do it anyway." I love you and miss you, Dee!!! Love, The LIttle One
No comments:
Post a Comment