Every blade of grass has an
angel that bends over it
and whispers
"grow, grow."
*The Talmud*
As with most around here, Wangari's words have been so present in my mind, my words, and my actions. She is still a much deserved hot topic of conversation, inspiration, and creation of many dreams. Ever since her talk I have been trying to figure out how I will take what she ignited in me and turn it into my life's work.
I consider myself very lucky. I have never had someone tell me I could not do something because I was a girl, because I was short, or because I wasn't good enough, well no one who meant anything to me that is. When I couldn't get something on the first try, I had my Dad and my Grandparents over me telling me I COULD do it; all I had to do was work at it, be patient, and to 'get it out of my mind that I couldn't." They often told me (and still do when I doubt myself) that 'you are your own worst enemy sometimes.' And, at times they are right. When I was growing up the boys in my neighborhood never told me I couldn't play football with them because I was a girl, I was always in the middle of it all. In high school my teachers were marvelous, constantly encouraging, constantly cheering us on, and always making sure we knew they would always be there, and many of them are still dear friends.
Then I came to college---it is certainly a different lifestyle and I thought I would have to be my own 'cheerleader' of sorts and push myself to do what I could, I was now in the world alone. Little did I know that across town were 170 women, all willing to invest their time, energy, love, and support into me, into so many. They constantly encourge me to do what makes me happy, to live out my passion, to go where I never thought I could go, and most of all to believe in myself. Sometimes I still wonder what in the world all these people in my life see in me? I'm just Jen. I still don't know---sometimes it is hard to look inside and see our own potential, that is why God gave us friends. Friends who are willing to step out on a limb, to push us, to pull us, and most of all to love us enough so that we begin to believe a bit more in ourselves, in our potential, and in our dreams. To have these women, women that have followed their dreams, fought those who told them they couldn't, and in turn have shared their strength with so many is knowing that when the chips are down, when life hits hard and you cease to believe in yourself, there will always be a Community of women whose prayers will walk beside you and hand in hand, you will reach the top of the mountain. And their prayers and support are certainly not exclusive to me or BC students, they are inclusive to anyone that will let them in, that will let their Benedictine love be known.
Thank you to my family, my friends for always being there for me, for loving me unconditionally and believing in me. Last but not least---to the Sisters and Wangari--thank you for making me proud to be a woman with dreams.
The quote above is so awesome to me. I am the a blade of grass and I have 170 Sisters (angels) bending over me, but they do not whisper for me to 'grow', instead they loudly cheer me on 'grow, grow.'
No comments:
Post a Comment