"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOOOO HOOOOO - What a Ride!"This is one of my favorite quotes of ALL time. The concept of living your life as it is a ride--leaving this life, not in a well preserved body--not protected, but having LIVED--that's my goal. I want to see, I want to do, I want to take risks, I want to laugh, I want to dance and most of all I just want to be happy. Lately I have realized more than ever the importance of being who I really am--despite those who think I should be and would prefer me to be otherwise. It is hard to take those criticisms, especially from people you have looked up too--but it has taught me more about myself then I may have ever known. Yes, I am an extrovert---my love is people, but I am also capable of serious and deep conversation. Yes, I love school and do well, but my first priority are the people in my life and making sure they are all right and keeping strong relationships with them. This week has been hard as I have realized it is a challenge for some people to accept that others do not think the same way they do, live the same way they do, or want to be the same way they are. But, I keep thinking if everyone were the same, this world would be such a boring place---I think we are all different to give life a little variety, to balance each other out, and to allow this world to be some place we can ride through screaming WOOOOO HOOOO! At least, that's the world I hope to live in. So--I am grateful for the differences of human beings, especially as I go to sleep tonight, knowing someone out there isn't as big of a whimp as I am and they are keeping me safe from harm!
It's Friday and that makes me happy---I worked on my paper most of the night, ate pizza and had a glass of wine with the girls, worked on my paper some more and now I'm off to bed. It's another paper writing day tomorrow. Happy Friday to ALL!
Thanks for being you! HUGS!
Picture: This is a picture from last year. It was the week before Lauren and Catharine were going to graduate and we were having some daquiris in their room--we were all hyped up with nervous anticipation of saying goodbye and we had an absolute ball being crazy (as you can tell). Those are the moments I live for. The spontaneous bursts of energy when you are with some of your best friends, letting loose, being your crazy self, and thinking everything in the world is right at the moment---that my friends, is what I live for!
1 comment:
Ice skates can be used well in the great sideways slide! There's a saying about "one foot in the grave and the other on a bannana peel!" But thinking about this quote has opened up a whole other way to think about it and belly flopping on ice is a good picture for me. Watch out for other people's blades, however!(smile)
Post a Comment