Today was quite an awesome experience. Rachel, her Uncle Jim, and I went to Shantivanam. It is a House of Prayer that is out in Easton, Kansas surrounded by nothing but woods for 120 acres. It offers a Catholic Service encompassing other religions as well and praying for unity and peace among peoples of all faiths. It was a wonderful place to visit. I found the service to be incredibly peaceful. Instead of the normal rush of the "usual" Catholic mass, the service at Shantivanam was focused on allowing individual's to have the quiet they need to absorb the Gospel, reflection, or center themselves in prayer. There were 2 minute sections of silence in between some of the parts of the service. It is a simple place. You could sit on the chairs or on the floor on cushions. Rachel and I chose the floor and found it to be rather cozy and comfortable. The altar sits on the bare earth to remind us of its importance in our lives. There is so much symbolism in their chapel that was explained to us today, but I am too exhausted to write it all out tonight. The experience was wonderful and the people were most welcoming. Rupert Pate, who was a professor at BC, is the one that lead Rachel and I there. It was wonderful and we plan on returning for another visit. Rupert is a wonderful man with an amazing sense of spirituality and a respect for the soul and the Earth that I have never seen in another person before. A true example he is.
I am back in Des Moines now after a busy BUSY weekend, but a good weekend. Tutu and I were able to move some of my apartment back and I will go back down this weekend to get another load. Since my lease isn't up until March 31st I have plenty of time, but I like to move little loads back so that when Dad comes down all we have are the big furniture things to move. It was a bittersweet time packing up. A part of me is happy for the move home and the job and the chance to be with family, but the other part is sad because I loved my apartment, a lot of my friends are in KC, and I am rather used to living alone now---but moving forward is a good thing, but its not always easy.
Shantivanam was a good place to be today. It helped me to center myself, which was needed. Fr. Wimpy gave a wonderful homily today at Shantivanam--he seems to be quite wise.
Tomorrow will be a busy day as well...doctors appointments...unpacking...figuring out when my job wants me to start...lots of little things. OH and we are expected to get 3-6 more inches of snow--I mean seriously...this is nuts...Mother Nature must be mighty ticked off!!
I am exhausted and the words are becoming blurry...I'm off to bed. Goodnight.

No comments:
Post a Comment