Thursday, April 19, 2007

How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.
~Carol Sobieski
Life is going extremely well on this bright and sunny campus. The last week and a half have been rough, but yesterday brought the ebb of happiness. I made myself pull 3 almost all-nighters in a row, working on papers and presentations, so that for the next week and a half, I can play, play, play (with the enouragement of Diana---thanks!!!). I suppose I'll study for finals (because SLinda will make me *haha*) but my focus is certainly on enjoying these last remaining days with my friends and enjoying the beautiful sunshine outdoors. It is a sin to be indoors when the sun is shining outside.
I have 8 days of classes left. Time flies. Lately, (when I do sleep) I lie awake in bed thinking of how I am going to say the goodbyes in a couple of weeks. How will I walk away from the place I've called home for 4 years? Yes, it has had its frustrations at times, but I wouldn't have wanted to gone anywhere else. When I graduated from high school, I didn't shed a tear. I was ready. I was ready to move onto college, explore a new life, meet new people, and live away from home. I didn't even cry the day my family left me on campus--though I felt a bit guilty when my grandma's eyes were wet with tears and mine were dry as a bone! :0) I remember my first night here. Sarah (my roommate) and I dove in with both feet to the college life. That evening as soon as our families left, we quickly showered and got ready to go out---it was the night of the big football party and we weren't about to miss out on anything. And now, four years later, I remember my freshman year with a huge grin. Admittedly, I did not concentrate on school work like I should have; I certainly enjoyed my fair share of parties, late nights, and spontaneous trips, you know like to Oklahoma for a few hours, but nothing could replace those memories, not even an A. The life experience was worth it.
Now, I'm preparing to leave "home" once again, but this time, it is much more difficult. I have yet to figure out why I was so ready to leave high school, but how hard it is leave my BC world. It has treated me well---it has given me more than I could have ever imagined. I'm not dwelling on the goodbyes. I am completely living up my last few weeks here, but when I'm still, when silence is present, the fear of saying goodbye sweeps in and my heart aches. I know I will survive--everyone who has gone through this has, so I will too. But, I remind myself that this next adventure of my life holds just as many memories, if I let it. In a week and a half I'm being sent out into the big scary thing known as 'the World'--we'll see how 4 years in the Benedictine bubble will help me! (Smile) I have a feeling Ramen noodles will still be a delicacy.
Picture: The other night Erin was making dessert, she let Amber and I lick the melted chocolate off the wax paper---mmm...mmm...good. Chocolate can cure anything!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go girl!!!!